Friends, Pride month is upon us. Even as it is just beginning, even as it is just halfway through May, those of us in our gay little kerchiefs and gay little caps are bent over our workbenches, banging out the rainbows and cutting up the glitter. Two things are happening though, and soon:
1) BUTCH BURLESQUE: Saturday, May 19th, 7:30pm, Stonewall Inn.
I know, I know, consider it a pre-Pride warmup. By which I mean “smoking-hot-up,” because the lineup? Is just that. Facebook has everything you need to know. (Doesn’t it always?)
2) REALLY REALLY FOR REAL FOR REAL EXPLICITLY GAY BINGO: Wednesday, June 6th, 7pm, Sycamore
Those of you who have been to bingo know: it’s always a little gay. But this month – to kick off gay days appropriately – we are going FOR REAL FOR REAL ALL THE WAY EXPLICITLY GAY. I know. I can’t even imagine the half of it either. Doors at 7, first game at 7:30 – seats fill up, so come early.
The rest of Pride week? Well, you’ll just have to wait a little. But oh, Mary, I assure you it’s worth the wait.
Remember: LEZ WE CAN!
Well! What a March. Here I am, just to tell you a few things coming up:
- Bingo! First Wednesdays like always. Next one is Wednesday, May 2nd: International Bingo Conspiracy!
- I’ll be MCing the Empire State Pride Agenda’s Lobby Day on May 8th.
There’s also lots coming up for Pride in June…keep your eyes peeled. In the meantime, won’t you check out Lavender Valley, the Internet’s premiere Powerpoint lesbian slide show soap opera?
A few things:
1) BINGO BINGO BINGO! ROUND TWO! We’re now on first Wednesdays, rather than last Wednesdays, and that means the next one is coming right up: March 7th at Sycamore! So fun! More info here, on the Facebook event.
2) LAVENDER VALLEY: everyone’s favorite lesbian slideshow soap opera rides again! This is really best experienced live, but the first few are online now, for your viewing satisfaction:
3) Purim Purim Purim! The annual artstravaganza is back again, this time on March 3rd. You have no idea how amazing this will be – March 3rd, 7pm till the sun shines again, in Industry City in Sunset Park. Click over here for more information.
Lots of other shows and things coming up over March – stay tuned for all the details.
Next Wednesday night at Sycamore, 1118 Cortelyou Road, I am very happy to announce that I will be hosting monthly bingo nights. Yes! You, too, can come, eat, drink, be merry, have a great time, make some friends, and GET A BINGO. You’ll be so happy you did. And I will be too.
Wednesdays: January 25, Feb 29th, and March 28th, 7-9pm
$5 for 2 cards, $1 per card after that! Amazing!
Tonight I have the great privilege of being a guest on Eliza Ridgeway’s holiDOOM show on KZSU out west in California. We’ll be talking holiday music – some of the chestnuts and some of the treasures. Eliza is a great journalist; I am excited to add my own je ne sais quoi to her mix.
Tune in at kzsu.stanford.edu.
Lots in the works, but just wanted to let you know a few things I’m up to:
* I had a great show with Damien D’Luxe at the Department of Transformation’s MIXPloratorium series at the LaMama Galleria. Slideshows? About dyke drama? I think I have found a new genre.
* 2012 is going to bring a lot of travel, including the 2012 Emerge residency at Earthdance and attending the Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics’ Encuentro in Mexico City this March. Speedwagon on the road!
* December is getting exciting: I’ll be performing at Rebel Cupcake December 8th (Chappy Chanukkah!) and Butch Burlesque at Dixon Place December 17th (Chappy Chanukkah redux!) Who knows what else might show up…
* Remember, you can always read my thoughts on what I’m working on via my blog: http://interestinginteresting.wordpress.com.
Keep your eyes peeled for more! I have some exciting things in the works. Jingle jingle jingle, or dreidel dreidel dreidel, as you prefer.
It’s been busy here, as I am sure you can guess. I went straight from the show this summer into rehearsal for a show with Susana Cook, which went up at Dixon Place in September. I’ve been hard at work with the Department of Transformation, planning, writing, and getting things done. And, of course, I am occupying Wall Street – bringing the style and the heart.
There is a lot coming up later this fall that I hope to announce soon. For right now, you can see me at the MIXFest Opening Night performing in a piece by Coral Short. That’s Tuesday, November 15th, 8pm, and you should definitely be there.
I’m trying to be good about updating this website, but just in case, you can join my mailing list for all the latest updates by clicking here.
Oh, friends, my apologies. Sometimes, when you are busy living the dream, it is hard to remember to update the dream’s website. Much has been going on this spring; there are a few things this summer that I especially want to make sure you know about:
1) The July Series at Le Petit Versailles! Produced by the Department of Transformation, I will be one of five artists doing a weekend of work. You can see my show, “Professor Speedwagon Presents This is the Way the World Ends!” July 21-23. Much more to follow.
2) the Pop-Up Museum of Queer History! Co-curated by Hugh Ryan and Buzz Slutzky, this is a one-month museum at the Leslie Lohman gallery in August. I am excited to be curating film and working on sourcing other exhibits – there will be much more to come. Donate to the Indie-a-Go-Go here!
3) This fall promises lots of surprises – from a little theater to clown training, the sticks will be slapped and the learning will continue. Watch this space for much more in the coming months!
Oh friends! February was such a razzle-dazzle I could not even keep up with this website. My apologies! But I am here to tell you about the main gig I have coming up – a really big show! – that has been taking most of my attention:
It’s the JFREJ Purimshpiel!
It’s the best party on the planet! It’s the best Jewish holiday of all! It’s PURIM, the holiday when we don’t even know the good from the bad, and as per usual, the Purimshpiel crew is here to tear it up. This year: YOU BETTER WORK! – a celebration of all kinds of labor. Politics! Processions! Cabaret! Food! Installations! It’s the politically aware art dance party of your dreams. I am curating the cabaret and have been working hard behind the scenes (you saw our Kickstarter, right? We raised all that and more!) getting things together.
More info can be found right here: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144442132286008&ref=ts
Aside from that, I will be taking a turn as all of the soc roles in the ALL QUEER OUTSIDERS READING at Rebel Cupcake this coming Thursday (March 10th) at Sugarland in Brooklyn. Yes, folks. An all-queer staged reading of The Outsiders, the best movie about class war and bromance the 80s produced. Come see me look like a prep!